Holy Cross Church

Mission Santa Cruz

Mission Santa CruzWelcome!

Mission Santa Cruz is located at 130 Emmet Street, on Mission Plaza in Santa Cruz, California. The Roman Catholic Parish of Holy Cross is the home of Mission Santa Cruz, the 12th link in the chain of 21 historic Spanish Franciscan missions that stretch from San Diego to Sonoma.

For more information, contact us at: 831-426-5686 or email: blpedrazzi@sbcglobal.net.

Information for students and teachers: Mission Santa Cruz. We're under reconstruction, however, some of the information may still be helpful.


History

Mission Santa Cruz was founded September 25, 1791 by Father Ferm ín Francisco de Lasuén, the successor of Father Junípero Serra. "Santa Cruz" means "Holy Cross" in Spanish. The full Spanish name of the mission is "Misión la exaltación de la Santa Cruz," named after a feast day in the Church calendar which occurs on September 14: The Exaltation of the Holy Cross. For more information, click here.


Public Hours

Mission Santa Cruz and the Galeria store are open to the public:

  • Tuesday ~ Saturday: 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  • Sunday: 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
  • Closed on Mondays.

A brochure for a self-guided tours is provided. Tours for groups of 12 or more are available with two weeks advanced notice. Plan a visit soon! For more information, contact us at: 831-426-5686 or email: blpedrazzi@sbcglobal.net

 

The Galeria

The Galeria store features a wonderful selection of gifts, including a unique collection of museum quality pieces, religious books, greeting cards and more.

 

Mission Museum

The Mission Museum houses a fine collection of Mission era vestments from the original Mission. The fabrics of these vestments were made in China and then taken to the Philippines to be made into these beautiful vestments. There are also sacred vessels used in the Catholic Mass and silver candle sticks on display. For more information, click here.

 

Addtional Resources

The following links provide detailed information and photos related to the history of Mission Santa Cruz:

 

 

 


MISSION SANTA CRUZ ~ Misión la exaltación de la Santa Cruz at Holy Cross Parish
Birthplace of Santa Cruz, California ~ September 25, 1791

mission santa cruz"Santa Cruz" means "Holy Cross" in Spanish. The full Spanish name of the mission is "Misión la exaltación de la Santa Cruz," named after a feast day in the Church calendar which occurs on September 14: The Exaltation of the Holy Cross, celebrating the Christian symbol of the cross on which Jesus was crucified.

Mission Santa Cruz was founded by Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuén (pronounced:Lah-SWEN), the successor of Father Junípero Serra. Since 1859 the mission site has been owned and operated by the Diocese of Monterey, now under the direction of Bishop Ricard Garcia. Holy Cross Church is a parish within the Diocese of Monterey.

The Mission Santa Cruz Period

On October 17, 1769, the Portola expedition arrived at the San Lorenzo River and set up a cross, calling the area "Santa Cruz," meaning city of the "Holy Cross." Twenty years later, Fathers Alonzo, Salazar, and Lopez arrived and pitched their tents on the hill where the church of the same name now stands. The cornerstone of the mission church was laid on February 27, 1793, on the site of the current parish church, and was dedicated May 10, 1794.

The mission period begins to draw to a close in 1834 when its lands were secularized by the Mexican government. By 1840 the mission buildings were falling into disrepair. In 1845 an earthquake toppled the church's bell tower. With the collapse of the mission facade, caused by another earthquake on February 16, 1857, the mission period of Holy Cross ended.

Holy Cross Parish -- the beginnings

 

In 1857, the cornerstone was laid for a wooden church to replace the mission church. It served the parish until 1898, when it was torn down. In 1862, the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul opened Holy Cross School, a day school as well as a boarding school, the first educational institution in the parish.

In 1889, the construction of the present brick gothic church, under Rev. Hugh McNamee, marks the end of the transition from Mission Santa Cruz to Holy Cross Parish. On September 25, 1891, the citizens of Santa Cruz erected a granite archway in front of the church to commemorate the founding of Mission Santa Cruz. New buildings graced the parish from the 1920s through the 1960s, including the high school and rectory. From 1982 to 1984, the interior of the church was renovated in preparation for the 1989 centennial. In 1989 the church was formally consecrated. Then on October 17, 1989, the earth shook again. The church was declared unsafe, and services were moved to the parish hall. On June 30, 1990, the parish hall itself burned down! Services were moved to the school courtyard, and then into a tent pavilion.

Holy Cross Parish -- today

During the 10 years after the earthquake, the church was repaired and retrofitted, along with the convent and the Mission Chapel. A new parish hall and gym were completed in 1999, and a Historic Garden was begun over the old Mission burial grounds in tribute to our Native American brothers and sisters.

Mission Museum

This fine collection of Mission era vestments from the original Mission, are currently on exhibit at the Mission Museum. The fabrics of these vestments were made in China and then taken to the Philippines to be made into these beautiful vestments. Click on image for larger view.

gold vestment
green vestment
purple vestment

Gold vestment:
This vestment was used for special feast days.

Green Vestment:
This vestment was used on Sundays of the ordinary time of the year.
Purple Vestment:
This vestment was used for the Sundays of lent.
Our lady of Guadalupe
   
Painting
Our Lady of Guadalupe, which hung in the Mission.
   

 

 


Contact Us | Site Map | Webmaster | Copyright ©2008 Holy Cross Parish. All rights reserved.